Sunday 27 March 2011

Busy Times

Back in 2004 I wrote a biography of John Martyn for Helter Skelter, a small London. The book was accepted, but for several reasons, never published. Since then John died, early in 2009. A couple of books had come out about him, and I thought mine would never see the light of day – how many John Martyn books does the world need, anyway?

Then, a few weeks ago I received a call about the book from the heading up the release of John’s posthumous album and a tribute disc. All of which now I’m now doing more interviews and adding to the book to finish it. Solid Air – The Life of John Martyn should appear as an ebook and print on demand in June, through Amazon and also marketed via the website that will be handling the music releases.

On top of that I’ve finished going through the final page proofs for my second Richard Nottingham book, Cold Cruel Winter, to be published as a hardback in the UK in May (September in the US). The publisher has just accepted the third book in the series, The Constant Lovers, and I’ll shortly be working with the editor on that.

As if all that wasn’t enough, the fourth book in the series (tenatively called Come the Fear) tapped me on the shoulder and said I had to start writing it, and an entirely different novel seems to be happening as well, although I refuse to say more about it than that.

There’s also the business of earning my daily bread, so I’m working, writing articles and reviews, doing other interviews for features. If people say writers have it easy, don’t believe a word. Many of us work damn hard.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to your next two releases and feel very curious about book 4 in the series too...I really liked the characters a lot in the first and can't imagine that I could ever want them to change but still, I want to see what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete